This old fashioned Butterscotch Meringue Pie is made with a meringue topping and filled with a delicious homemade brown sugar and butter pudding. It sits on top of a flaky spicy crust. This easy to make pie will easily become a favorite with your family.
For the crust...
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) very cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch butter bits
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
4-6 tablespoons ice water
For the filling...
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 egg yolks slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the meringue topping...
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. To make the crust, combine the flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. Mix to combine. Add the butter bits and with a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Add the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix with a fork until dough comes together when pressed into a ball. Flatten the dough ball into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Remove dough from refrigerator and unwrap. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 12 inch circle.
Center the dough over a 9 inch pie plate. Turn under the edges and crimp as desired.
Prick the bottom of the crust with the tines of a fork. Place a piece of parchment paper over the crust and fill with pie weights. If you don't have pie weights you can use dried beans, filling the bottom and up the sides. You can also use a second pie plate that nestles inside the pie shell over the parchment paper. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and carefully remove the weights and parchment paper. Continue to bake for another 10-15 minutes or until the crust is a light golden brown.
4. To make the filling, in a large heavy bottomed saucepan, blend together the brown sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Stir the milk and heavy cream into the egg yolks and add to the dry ingredients whisking until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. As the mixture thickens it will get lumpy, just continue to stir until smooth. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla. Stir well to combine. Cool slightly, then turn out into your baked pie crust.
5. To make the meringue, combine meringue ingredients in a mixing bowl and with a whisk attachment whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently spread meringue over filling right to the crust edge, sealing in the filling. Feel free to swirl and make meringue points with your spatula. Bake in the oven for about 15 minute until meringue is golden brown. Allow pie to cool completely on a wire rack until filling has set before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Enjoy!