This being my first savory recipe, I wanted it to be special and in season! Herbs are abundant in the garden right now and so, what better way to use them than in this delicious Herb Pasta. Served with melted butter and fresh grated Parmesan cheese, it's very easy to make, especially if you have a food processor. Serve this flavorful pasta with Italian sausages, Yum!
A variety of herbs may be used, it's up to you and what you have available. I used garlic scapes, chives, parsley, thyme, oregano, tarragon, rosemary, and swiss chard and romain lettuce to fill out.
large pinch of salt
4-5 ounces mixed fresh herbs and salad greens, chopped
about 3 cups, all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon olive oil
water, if needed
Parmesan cheese, freshly grated, unsalted butter and fresh ground black pepper for serving.
1. Place chopped greens and salt in a food processor, pulse until an herb paste forms. Add 2 cups flour, eggs and olive oil. Process until dough comes together in a soft sticky ball. Add a little water only if needed, the herbs should release enough water to form a sticky dough.
2. Remove the dough from the food processor and on a well floured counter, knead repeatedly: turn the dough into the flour, push with the heel of your hand to stretch the dough, fold it, turn it in the flour and repeat. The greens will release more of their liquid absorbing more flour. When the dough is silky and no longer sticky but still supple, form it into a ball. Cover it with a towel and let rest for an hour.
3. On a clean surface, sprinkle flour and place your dough in the middle, sprinkle flour on top and roll out the dough to an 1/8" thickness.
4. Cut into strips about 2" wide and cut across the strips into squares.
5. Bring a large pot filled with salted water to a boil. Toss the squares loosely in your hands to rid them of any excess flour and drop them in the boiling water. When the water returns to a boil, adjust the heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon regularly, until tender, about 6 minutes.
6. Drain and and toss with melted butter in warmed plates. Offer fresh grated Parmesan cheese and fresh ground black pepper.
For more yummy Herb recipes click below