This being my very first blog I felt I needed a recipe that was extra special, but also very easy to make. This is a shortbread cookie made with lightly toasted pecans and then dipped into a luscious dark chocolate. I've made these many times over the years and they have always been a favorite with my customers. I've shaped them in two different shapes, both bake up beautifully!
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup lightly toasted pecans finely chopped
6 ounces dark chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Spread pecans out on a cookie sheet and toast lightly for 5 minutes.
2. Reduce oven temperature down to 325° F.
3. Finely chop cooled pecans.
4. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla in a medium size mixing bowl until lightly fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stop the mixer ounce or twice to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
5. Sift the flour and salt together then add to creamed butter mixture, blend on medium speed about 1 minute. Scrape the bowl and add the nuts and mix until dough just begins to form a dough.
6. To form the pecan logs, scoop out dough about the size of a walnut and shape into a log, about 2 1/2 inches long, lightly flatten and place on a parchment lined baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake the cookies until they are lightly golden, about 30 to 35 minutes. To form rolled cookies, roll out dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper or on a lightly floured counter top to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes, and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake until they are lightly golden, about 16 minutes.
8. When the cookies have cooled, melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water, stirring occasionally being careful not to allow any water to touch the chocolate.
9. Pour the melted chocolate into a small deep bowl and dip half of each cookie into the chocolate, using the rim of the bowl to scrape the excess chocolate off the bottom of the cookie. Using a clean sheet of parchment paper, line a baking sheet and place the dipped cookies on top. Allow to set for several hous to harden or if your really in a hurry to try these little yummies, you can set them in a refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.